- FIVE COMETS PLAYERS EARN MASL AWARDS
- COMETS SEASON ENDS IN MINI-GAME OT THRILLER
- COMETS TAKE 1-0 LEAD IN CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES
- COMETS HOST MASL PLAYOFF OPENER
- STEPHEN PATERSON NAMED MASL GOALKEEPER OF THE MONTH
- VAHID ASSADPOUR AND STEPHEN PATERSON NAMED TO MASL TEAM OF THE WEEK
- COMETS WIN CENTRAL DIVISION WITH DOMINATING PERFORMANCE
- COMETS LOOK FOR REVENGE, CENTRAL DIVISION
- COMETS ANNOUNCE PLAYOFF DATES
- COMETS WIN STREAK SNAPPED IN MILWAUKEE
COMETS WIN SECOND STRAIGHT AT HOME
- Updated: December 12, 2016
KANSAS CITY (Dec. 11, 2016) – Despite not pulling into Kansas City until close to 4 a.m. after a one-point loss in Cedar Rapids on Saturday night, the Comets gathered themselves valiantly and eased to a 5-1 victory against the Eastern League-leading Baltimore Blast.
“It’s hard to bounce back from a loss like yesterday, but they are warriors,” Comets coach Goran Karadzov said. “They don’t just have to be physically ready, but they have to be mentally ready too and I give them credit for that.”
Odaine Sinclair started the scoring a few minutes into the quarter with an assist from Leo Gibson, who turned around to score one of his own moments later. Stefan Stokic added a third, which was unassisted to extend the lead.
Baltimore’s Jonates Melo broke up the streak with a goal midway through the period. It was the first goal allowed by the Comets in two home games. They shutout the previously undefeated Chicago Mustangs 6-0 on Dec. 3.
Guerrero Pino scored the final goal of the quarter with just more than a minute left and Stokic added the nightcap in the fourth to seal the victory.
The victory was the second in-a-row for the against a division-leading opponent by the Comets, who shutout the previously undefeated Chicago Mustangs a week ago.
Reigning Major League Soccer Player of the Week Stephen Paterson recorded 13 saves on the night and Stokic led the defenders with four blocks.
The Comets travel to Florida for their next match when they take on the expansion Tropics on Dec. 17. The Tropics will then complete the home-and-away series on Dec. 30 at the Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. For tickets or more information, visit kccomets.com or call 855.4KC.GOAL.