- FIVE COMETS PLAYERS EARN MASL AWARDS
- COMETS SEASON ENDS IN MINI-GAME OT THRILLER
- COMETS TAKE 1-0 LEAD IN CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES
- COMETS HOST MASL PLAYOFF OPENER
- STEPHEN PATERSON NAMED MASL GOALKEEPER OF THE MONTH
- VAHID ASSADPOUR AND STEPHEN PATERSON NAMED TO MASL TEAM OF THE WEEK
- COMETS WIN CENTRAL DIVISION WITH DOMINATING PERFORMANCE
- COMETS LOOK FOR REVENGE, CENTRAL DIVISION
- COMETS ANNOUNCE PLAYOFF DATES
- COMETS WIN STREAK SNAPPED IN MILWAUKEE
COMETS SHUT OUT CHICAGO
- Updated: December 4, 2016
KANSAS CITY (Dec. 3, 2016) – The Kansas City Comets accomplished two firsts in front of 4,007 fans on Saturday night at the Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. They were the first Major Arena Soccer League (MASL) team of the season to hand the Chicago Mustangs a loss and, behind the amazing play of goalkeeper Stephen Paterson, they earned their first shutout since the franchise returned to action in 2010. Lucas Rodriguez had two goals to lead all scorers as the Comets took home a 6-0 victory.
Ignacio “Nacho” Flores put the Comets on the board in the first quarter when he collected a rebound and fired it into the back of the net for his first goal of the season. The Santiago, Chile native entered the match with five shots in four appearances.
Rodriguez extended the lead a few minutes later on a set play assist from John Sosa. The two would link up again in the third quarter on another restart. After leading the league in restart scoring for much of last season, these were the first two for the pair in this campaign.
Goalkeeper Stephen Paterson was the star of tonight’s game however. He faced 19 shots from the Mustangs and saved them all. His stellar play earned him the First Star of the Game and the first shutout in the MASL this season.
As Paterson and the backline continued to protect the nets, the Comets built their lead with goals from Odaine Sinclair, Vahid Assadpour and Ramone Palmer.
The Comets hit the road for their next match against Cedar Rapids on Saturday December 10th and then return home Sunday December 17th at 5:05 to host the Baltimore Blast.
Against the Blast, the Comets will celebrate their annual ‘Salute to Service’ match. The team will wear special jerseys that will be auctioned off during the game to benefit Cars 4 Heroes. All members of the military, current and former, will receive special discounted tickets. To purchase tickets, or for more information, visit kccomets.com or call 855.4KC.GOAL.