- COMETS SEASON ENDS IN MINI-GAME OT THRILLER
- COMETS TAKE 1-0 LEAD IN CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES
- COMETS HOST MASL PLAYOFF OPENER
- STEPHEN PATERSON NAMED MASL GOALKEEPER OF THE MONTH
- VAHID ASSADPOUR AND STEPHEN PATERSON NAMED TO MASL TEAM OF THE WEEK
- COMETS WIN CENTRAL DIVISION WITH DOMINATING PERFORMANCE
- COMETS LOOK FOR REVENGE, CENTRAL DIVISION
- COMETS ANNOUNCE PLAYOFF DATES
- COMETS WIN STREAK SNAPPED IN MILWAUKEE
- COMETS CLINCH PLAYOFF BERTH WITH 12-4 VICTORY
COMETS RALLY FALLS SHORT IN CEDAR RAPIDS
- Updated: December 11, 2016
CEDAR RAPIDS (Dec. 10, 2016) – The Kansas City Comets’ rally fell short as they lost to the Cedar Rapids Rampage on Saturday night.
The Comets gave up the first five goals in the game and cut the lead to one in the fourth quarter before falling 8-7 on the road. Kansas City now trails their Central Division foe 2-0 in the season series.
Leo Gibson put the Comets on the board midway through the second quarter when he converted an assist from Ramone Palmer. Rookie Gui Gomes, who was making his professional debut, added his first goal two minutes later to cut the lead again.
However, the Rampage stopped the run with a last second goal from Gordy Gurson to take a 6-2 lead into halftime.
Kansas City’s John Sosa started the scoring effort in the second half with a goal midway through the third quarter and Cedar Rapids’ Angel Curiel snuck in two goals before the Comets’ run.
Gibson, Vahid Assadpour, Alain Matingou and Lucas Rodriguez put together a four-goal rally, but were held scoreless for the final 5:24.
Assadpour made one final attempt with 11 seconds left in the game, but Brett Petricek was there to save the shot and protect the lead. He finished with 13 saves on the night. Reigning Major Arena Soccer League Player of the Week Stephen Paterson recorded 12 saves for the Comets.
The Comets return home Sunday to host the Baltimore Blast at 5:05 p.m. CT. Visit kccomets.com or call 855.4KC.GOAL to purchase tickets or find more information.